Beef & Pepper Spiced Casserole (Serves 4)
- 700g/1½lb rump steak, trimmed & diced
- 2 red onions, peeled & chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 250g/9oz butternut squosh or turnip, or half & half diced
- 2 small red peppers, deseeded & diced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree with chilli
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 piled tbsp HP brown sauce
- 150ml red wine
- 500ml/¼pt beef stock, made from a cube
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with black pepper & salt
- 1/4 tsp each cumin & dried thyme, mixed together
2. Add the tomato puree, garlic, butternut squosh, peppers, wine and stock, then bubble for a few minutes to burn off the alcohol.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sauce, stir well and then pour into a large oven proof casserole.
4. Toss the rump steak in the seasoned flour and using the remaining rapeseed oil in the same fry pan, brown the meat for at least 10 minutes, in two stages if necessary and with a little more oil if needed.
5. Transfer to the casserole with the vegetables and stir around while bringing up to the boil, then cover with a lid before placing in a pre heated oven 180C/Gas Mk 5/Aga baking oven for 40-50 minutes.
Boulangère Potatoes (Serves 4)Can be prepared ahead, but remember to start the cooking ahead of the casserole so that the two dishes are ready at the same time !
- 700g/1½lb potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled & sliced
- 300ml/¼pt chicken stock
- 25g/1oz butter, diced
2. Season and pour over the stock, dot over with the butter and bake in a pre heated oven 200C/Gas Mk6/Aga roasting oven, for 30 minutes, before turning down the heat and cooking along with the casserole for 40-50 minutes so that the two dishes are ready to serve together.
Any green vegetable could also be served.