A delicious pud that can be made the day before and kept in your fridge (Serves 8)
- 350g/12oz fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 350g/12oz fresh or frozen strawberries
- 150g/6oz sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled
- 25 sponge fingers
- 159ml/¼pt orange juice
- 2 leaves of gelatine
- 175ml/6fl.oz boiling water
- 1 pkt sugar free strawberry jelly crystals
- 1x 500g ctn bought, or home made creamy custard
- 1x 250ml ctn double cream, whipped
1. Put the rhubarb into a saucepan with the orange juice and sugar, bring gently to simmering point and simmer for 6-7 minutes until the rhubarb is cooked but still holding its’ shape.
2. Add the strawberries, stir into the rhubarb, simmering gently for 4-5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and with the lid on the saucepan, leave to one side until they are soft (they will not need any further cooking)
4. Put the leaves of gelatine into cold water to soften. Put the jelly crystals with the boiling water into Pyrex jug and stir until dissolved, then remove the gelatine from the cold water and stir into the jelly crystals.
5. When dissolved, stir into the rhubarb mixture. Put the sponge fingers into a large bowl, slice over the bananas, then pour over the rhubarb mixture, stir gently then allow to cool and set. Pour over the custard, pipe over with the double cream and decorate with chocolate curls, sliced strawberry and angelica
Note : If you make your own custard, allow it to cool slightly before pouring over the rhubarb!